Friday, July 14, 2017

Fine Art and Mixed Media with Katherine


Hello everyone, welcome to another Fine Arts Friday. Today I have re-purposed an old frame that had seen better days. 

Katherine Sutton - Life is a Journey

Life is a Journey Frame by Katherine Sutton using BoBunny Serendipity

The collection I used for this project was Serendipity - the feathers, butterfly and chipboard are all from this range, the colours also co-ordinate really well with some of the Pentart acrylics.  I used lots of the Pentart crackle medium - I love this product, as you create your paint layer below, then add some of the medium, once it's dry you paint over the top and all the cracks appear - it works well on paper as well as wood.


Life is a Journey Frame by Katherine Sutton using BoBunny Serendipity

For the base I used a square of Treetops which has a beautiful pink dot on it and stuck this to the base of the frame.  I then used dark blue, antique gold, light green and pink creamy acrylics - I added pea sized amounts to a brayer and rolled it onto the paper.  I added some white gesso over the top and a little bit of the glamour metallic rich gold as well.


Life is a Journey Frame by Katherine Sutton using BoBunny Serendipity

I painted the whole of the frame gold using the antique gold acrylic, then added some patches of crackle medium and then I went over the top with white gesso.  I did add a little bit more in the areas where you could see the gold still - a white acrylic would have worked better in terms of coverage.  I then used the flower fun stencil to create some swirls with the 3D Texture Paste, and also added some areas of crackle medium on top of the paper inside the frame.  I used one of the large blush dahlia flowers and altered the colour with some white gesso.  I then added bits of embellishment from the Noteworthy and chipboard collections.


Life is a Journey Frame by Katherine Sutton using BoBunny Serendipity

I also added some bead paste at the base of my flower, and covered it with rich gold glamour paint, you can also see the mandala die cut peaking out behind the flower and some of the 3D Balls which I coloured with bronze glimmer spray and more rich gold.  I also added little bits of the greenish silver glamour paint - applying it with my finger in areas around the frame.


Life is a Journey Frame by Katherine Sutton using BoBunny Serendipity

You can see the layers of paint and the crackle effect on both the wood and paper, as well as a little bit of sparkle from the sugar glitter paste.



In the top corner I added a banner from the Noteworthy collection and a smaller one from the layered chipboard.

BoBunny Supplies

Patterned Paper: Serendipity - Treetops
Noteworthy: Serendipity
Glimmer Sprays: Bronze and Gold
Blossoms: Blush Dahlia
Glitter Paste: Sugar
Stencil: Flower Fun
Paint: White Gesso
Dies: Mandala

Pentart Supplies:

Creamy Acrylic: Antique Gold, Pink, Dark Blue, Pink and Light Green
Delicate Metallic : Greenish Silver
Glamour Metallic: Rich Gold
Wax Paste: Silver
Bead Paste
3D Balls
Crackle Medium



2 comments: